The Hudson’s Bay Company established a trading post at Derby Reach on the Fraser River in 1827, and 9 years later, the London-built SS Beaver went into service. It carried furs, food, supplies and people to forts along the coast for almost 40 years and has been described as, “a floating HBC trading post”. (See HERE) The steam-driven paddle wheeler was eventually sold to a Victoria merchant who converted it into a tug-boat; its bell was then put into storage until Henry Wark (HBC factor and Fort Langley postmaster) spotted it and asked to have it for St Andrew’s Church in Fort Langley, built in 1885. Read more about the bell’s story below. (Information from Tribute a book about St Andrew’s United Church by Marjorie Rosberg)


SS Beaver (photo UBC)

Fort Langley Advance 31 December 1964.
